- Grading is when practitioners show what they can and have learned since the last grading, a kind of exam.
- It is important to be concentrated, relaxed and alert. At the same time, the practitioner must also master his current syllabus (as well as the syllabus from previous grades).
- Up to 1.kyu, grading takes place in the club, then for grading to black 1.dan and more advanced dan gradations are done in front of the main Sensei Kobayashi in Oslo at Aikikan.
- Grades up to and including the 1.kyu start with fall (rolling) and basic techniques, Tachi Wasa (standing techniques) and end with Suwari wasa (sitting techniques).
- 1.kyu and up starts with weapons.